Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Reading Room: SPEED CARTER: SPACEMAN "Famous Explorers: Jupiter"

Ah, the good ol' days of 2007, when a spaceport sat outside New York City...
...funny, I don't remember the skyline looking like that in 2007!
I guess I developed amnesia after I hit my head falling out of my flying car...
I'm wondering what Joe's gonna do when he runs out of cigarettes!
Nicotine withdrawal is rough enough on Earth.
But on Jupiter, without even nicotine gum...

This story from Speed Carter: SpaceMan #4 (1953) references the previous Famous Explorers tales in its' first paragraph, mentioning the explorations of Venus, Mercury, and Mars.
Written by Hank Chapman, and illustrated by Joe Maneely, in his final Speed Carter interior art job.
Joe would later do the cover for #6, the final issue of the series.

Note: the astronauts in this story, which takes place three generations in the "past" of Speed Carter, have different uniforms and lower-end technology than what's shown in the Maneely-rendered Speed Carter tales.
But since Mike Sekowsky, who illustrated the rest of this issue, redesigned both the uniforms and tech, that whole aspect now falls by the wayside for the remainder of the series' run.

Support Small Business!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanx for posting!